Nicholas Kopp founded the original Kopp Glass in 1900. Kopp was a renowned chemist, he built the company upon his knowledge and ability to hand mold beautiful lamps and tableware in many colors. In 1901, Kopp took on new partners and renamed the company Pittsburgh Lamp, Brass and Glass Company, again specializing in lamps and lighting in an array of colors and decorations. "Pilabrasgo," as it was called, produced some of the finest crystal etched and cardinal red satin glass lamps in the world.
In 1903, Dithridge & Company (1863-1903) was absorbed by Pilabrasgo. At the height of their business, Pilabrasgo was comprised of three factories, located in Pittsburgh, Swissvale and Jeannette, Pennsylvania. They maintained showrooms in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco, St. Louis and Kansas City. They also maintained a sales office in London, Ontario, Canada.
The prosperity didn't last forever. In 1926 Pilabrasgo went bankrupt and Nicholas Kopp reorganized and renamed the company Kopp Glass, Inc. Signal lenses, light fixtures, lamps and vases were the core of Kopp's business.
Through the years, Kopp Glass, Inc. has made and continues to make, important contributions in the industrial, transportation, scientific, medical, aerospace, and theatrical fields. Kopp produces traffic signal and railroad lenses, glass filters, airport and aircraft lighting, architectural and stage lighting and automotive parts. In the 1980's and '90's Kopp engineers developed night vision compatible filters used in many of the world's military aircraft. These filters allow a pilot to use night vision goggles without being blinded by the instrument panel lights. 1
From the catalog:
The wide popularity of these lamps is owing to the wonderful efficiency of the patent SUCCESS CENTRE DRAFT BURNER, which is a feature of all Pilabrasgo lamps. The prices are extraordinarily low. What the incandescent mantle is to gas lighting and the tungsten filament to electric, the Success Centre Draft Burner is to oil lighting.
This is a reprint of the Pittsburgh Lamp, Brass & Glass Company Catalogue No. 13, circa 1905. It is an invaluable reference for anyone interested in turn-of-the-century kerosene lighting. This 48 page catalog depicts the Pilabrasgo line of SUCCESS lamps, decorated vases, glass stand lamps, and a wide variety of parlor (Gone-With-The-Wind) lamps, hanging library lamps and pull-down hall lamps.
Check The Book Nook for available copies of this catalog!
Search PILABRASGO's Patents
To view any of the above patents, enter the number in the box below and select Query USPTO Database. This will take you to the specific patent images on the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office Database. Learn more about the USPTO here.